Monday, September 10, 2007

Spaghetti Sauce = YUM!

It's funny how many people request this recipe after tasting it. You'll never go back to Ragu or Prego again! And it's so easy! Anyway, without further ado...

Spaghetti Sauce

4 onions chopped
4 cloves of garlic chopped
1/2 c. olive oil
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 lb. hamburger
3 large (28 oz.) cans tomatoes (blended or diced--or any combination)
2 6 oz. cans tomato paste (or one 12 oz.)
2 T salt

Sautee onions and garlic with olive oil and pepper in a large pot. In separate pan, brown hamburger and drain off fat. Add three large cans of tomatoes and two 6 oz. cans of tomato paste to sauteed onions. Add browned hamburger and salt.

*Note: I have never tried fresh tomatoes, but if you'll be using home grown tomatoes, I'm not sure if you need to cook the tomatoes first. You might need to either cook them separately or cook the sauce longer until they become tender. If you plan on blending them, you might not need to bother with cooking them separately at all. Play with it and see what you think. Three large cans of tomatoes should roughly equate to about 10 cups of home grown tomatoes once they're diced or mashed up.


It really is as easy as that! :) I used to get cans of whole tomatoes and then blend them, but I find that I enjoy diced tomatoes too for a chunkier sauce. Some people like it smooth and some people like their sauce to be chunky. My little brother hates the texture of onions, so he blends the onions too! You can do whatever suits your taste. This recipe makes quite a lot, so I always just freeze what's left over and then it's a super easy meal on a night when you don't have time (or just don't want) to cook. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Thanks for posting, Mer! I'm going to try it tonight. :)

Sarah said...

I made it last night and it was delish. I have several containers in the freezer... My only complaint is that my house still smells like an ethnic restaurant. :P